- Nosey Mrs. Rat by Jeffrey Allen - Mrs. Rat makes a career out of spying on
her neighbors, but the tables are unexpectedly turned on her.
- Danby and George by Betty Baker - When George the woodrat's nest is
destroyed, Danby the deer mouse takes him into his home in the zoo's garage,
but the adjustment is difficult for both.
- Four Fat Rats by Cathy Bellows - Four fat sassy rats leave home and eat
a wide swathe through the world, alienating everybody on the way.
- Emma's Rat-Tastic Adventure (A Little Ark Book) by Derek Bernardson
- The Rats Who Lived in the Delicatessen by Harold Berson - A rat
is happy living in the delicatessen until he begins to let other rats come
and live there.
- The Lab Rat of Doctor Eclari by John Bianchi
- Three Cheers for Errol! by Babette Cole - Errol the city rat uses his
brain as well as his athletic ability when he competes in the Inter-school
- R-T, Margaret, and the Rats of Nimh by Jane Leslie Conly - The further
adventures of the intelligent young rat Racso and his friends Christopher
and Isabella as they try to ensure the survival of their secret community
in Thorn Valley after its accidental discovery by two human children.
- Racso and the Rats of Nimh by Jane Leslie Conly - Timothy Frisby, a field
mouse, teams up with the adventurous young rat Racso as together they try to
prevent the destruction of a secret community of rats that can read and write.
- The Rats' Daughter by Joel Cook
- Fourteen Rats & a Rat-Catcher by James Cressey - A little old lady with
a house full of rats calls on the town rat catcher who does more than solve
her rat problem.
- The Trouble with Longtails by Mary H. Duplex - Third-grader Trish
discovers that pet rats can be fun, trouble, and a way of gaining confidence
and making new friends.
- Happy Miss Rat by Peter Firmin - Happy Miss Rat plays her banjo while
all the other animals are getting ready for the coming winter, and her
musical practice eventually gives her the means of earning her livelihood.
- Kenny's Rat Pictures by Betty Fraser - Ken always remembers to take good
care of his white rat but one day he leaves the cage door open.
- Rosie's Birthday Rat by Linda Glaser - Rosie's mother reluctantly agrees
to get her a rat for her birthday, but it takes Rosie a while to convince her
mother that she made the right decision.
- Riddle Rat by Donald Hall - The skill of a young riddler saves the day for
the entire rat community.
- The Dawn Seekers by Carol Hamilton - Quentin, a nocturnal rat who has
never seen the color green, accompanies two other desert animals on a
perilous quest for new experiences in the daytime desert.
- Tuesday in Arizona by Marian Harris - A pack rat causes an old prospector
all kinds of trouble, before brightening up his life.
- Rats! by Pat Hutchins - Sam's insistence on getting a pet rat eventually
changes his family's entire daily routine and brings an exciting surprise.
- Redwall by Brian Jacques - When the peaceful life of
ancient Redwall Abbey is shattered by the arrival of the evil rat Cluny and
his villainous hordes, Matthias, a young mouse, determines to find the
legendary sword of Martin the Warrior which, he is convinced, will help
Redwall's inhabitants destroy the enemy.
- Mossflower by Brian Jacques - Martin the warrior mouse and
Gonff the mousethief set out to find the missing ruler of Mossflower, while
the other animal inhabitants of the woodland prepare to rebel against the
evil wildcat who has seized power.
- Mattimeo by Brian Jacques - Mattimeo, the son of the
warrior mouse Matthias, learns to take up the sword and joins the other
animal inhabitants of Redwall Abbey in resisting Slagar the fox and his band
of marauders. Sequel to "Redwall."
- Mariel of Redwall by Brian Jacques - The mousemaid Mariel
achieves victory at sea for the animals of Redwall Abbey, fighting the savage
pirate rat Gabool the Wild, warlord of rodent corsairs.
- Salamandastron by Brian Jacques - Urthstripe the Strong, a
wise old badger, leads the animals of the great fortress of Salamandastron
and Redwall Abbey against the weasel Ferahgo the Assassin and his corps of
- Martin the Warrior by Brian Jacques - Captured and enslaved
by the corsair stoat Badrang, young mouse warrior Martin vows to end the evil
beast's plundering and killing.
- The Bellmaker by Brian Jacques - Worried about his daughter
Mariel, Joseph the Bellmaker is led by a dream from Redwall Abbey to
Southsward, where he is caught up in the battle between Squirrelking Gael
and the vicious Foxwolf Nagru.
- The Outcast of Redwall: A Tale from Redwall by Brian Jacques
- The destinies of the badger lord dubbed Sunflash and his mortal enemy, the
ferret warlord Swartt Sixclaw, are entwined with those of many creatures,
particularly the inhabitants of Redwall Abbey.
- The Great Redwall Feast by Brian Jacques - Relates in rhyme
the riotous preparations for and celebration of the animals' surprise feast
in honor of the abbot of the abbey of Redwall.
- The Long Patrol: A Tale for Redwall by Brian Jacques -
Tammo, a daring young hare hungry for adventure, is sent with Russa Nodrey,
the wandering red squirrel, to join the Long Patrol and defend Salamandastron
against the Rapscallion horde.
- Pearls of Lutra by Brian Jacques - Tansy, a young hedgehog
living at Redwall Abbey, attempts to solve the riddle of the missing pearls
while at the same time the evil marten, Mad Eyes, desires them for himself.
- The Rat and the Tiger by Keiko Kasza - In his friendship with Rat, Tiger
takes advantage and plays the bully because of his greater size, but one day
Rat stands up for his rights.
- The Wedding of the Rat Family retold by Carol Kendall - Aspiring to
a marriage of power and influence for their daughter rat, two rat parents
arrange a calamitous wedding with a member of the cat family.
- Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes - Mentally retarded Charlie
Gordon participates in an experiment which turns him into a genius but only temporarily.
- The Rat War by Elsie McCutcheon - In 1946 nine-year-old Nicholas and
his older sister go to live with their aunt in a small village where,
despite official warnings of a rat plague, Nicholas befriends a baby rat
and tries to keep him safe from the ratcatcher.
- The Rat Race : the Amazing Adventures of Anton B. Stanton by Colin
McNaughton - A very small boy imprisoned in the city of rats enters the
rat race in hopes of becoming king for one day.
- Anton B. Stanton and the Pirats by Colin McNaughton - A boy no bigger
than a tea cup is forced to walk the plank by his rat captors and then
returns to their pirate ship to free the kidnapped water rat princess.
- Cinderella's Rat by Susan Meddaugh - One of the rats that was turned into
a coachman by Cinderella's fairy godmother tells his story.
- Christmas at Rumpole Mansion by Karen Mezek - There is a very special
Christmas at the Rumpole Mansion the year grumpy old Mr. Scratchly Rat
comes to live there and a young mouse softens him up with a very generous
- Pebbles, a Pack Rat by Edna Miller - A pack rat who finds refuge from
the crows in a scarecrow frightens the local children when the scarecrow
- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh by Robert C. O'Brien - Having no one to
help her with her problems, a widowed mouse visits the rats whose former
imprisonment in a laboratory made them wise and long lived.
- Sam Who Was Swallowed by a Shark by Phyllis Root - Despite his neighbors'
objections, Sam the river rat fulfills his life's dream of building a boat
and going to sea.
- Tattie Wattles: A Love Story by Rachel Rosenthal - The true story of artist Rachel
Rosenthal's life with her pet rat Tattie Wattles.
- Towser and the Water Rats by Tony Ross - Towser the dog outsmarts the Water
Rats who try to take over his vacation house on the river.
- Smudge by John A. Rowe - After dreaming that it is carried off by a bird,
a dog, a rabbit, and other animals, a young rat wakes up surrounded by its
- Wharf Rat illustrated by John Schoenherr - After an oil slick fouls the
beach a disrupted rat finds haven on a freighter.
- A Rat's Tale by Tor Seidler - Montague, an artistic young rat living
beneath the streets of New York City, thinks he can do nothing to save his
friends from extermination until he finds a better understanding of both
himself and his ne'er-do-well uncle.
- Mooch the Messy by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat - Only for love does a very
messy young rat clean up his hole to make his father's visit happier.
- Mooch the Messy Meets Prudence the Neat by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat -
A very messy rat worries about his friendship with his extremely neat new
- Rita, the Weekend Rat illustrated by Leonard Shortall - Describes the
events in Cynthia's life as she tries to prove she can provide a good home
for the school's pet rat.
- The Adventures of Chatrat by Venetia Spicer - An enterprising rat travels
to the land of the Pharaohs.
- The adventures of Little and Big Whiskers (two rats in case you didn't
know) by Jerome Stack - Two pet rats who have lived quietly for five years
in a cage suddenly begin to converse with the family that owns them.
The Tale of One Bad Rat by Bryan Talbot
- The Holiday Rat, and The Utmost Mouse illustrated by Wallace Tripp - Two
short stories which repudiate the stereotypes of repulsive rats and timid
- Adventures of the Rat Family: A Fairy Tale (Iona and Peter Opie Library) by Jules Verne
- A good fairy must combat the efforts of a jealous prince and an evil genie while she helps
the members of a rat family in their quest to become human.
- Charlotte's Web by E.B. White - Wilbur, the pig, is desolate when he
discovers that he is destined to be the farmer's Christmas dinner until his spider friend,
Charlotte, decides to help him.
- Stuart Little by E.B. White - The adventures of the debonair mouse
Stuart Little as he sets out in the world to seek out his dearest friend, a little bird who
stayed a few days in his family's garden.
- The Coachman Rat by David Henry Wilson
- This enthralling novel remolds the fantasy horror tale into a brilliant and provocative
fable of modern times. Robert alwas knew he was different. Deep down, he felt there
was no one else like him. His father taught him never to trust man, for no animal can
destroy as man can - yet he was fascinated by humans and their ways.
When the Woman of Light practicces her occult gifs on him he metamorphoses from
rat into coachman for one brief night. Returned to his animal form, he retains the power of
speech, and scientists rush to examine his startling abilities. Their investigations led
them to retrace Robert's earlier coach ride ot the Price's palace.
Then in a brutal palace coup, humans rise up against humans, devouring each other
like rats devour leftovers. Robert, horrified at the carnage, is left to organize a vast army
of his species and move on the forces of oppression to avenge the loss of his compatriots.
Wilson has created in The Coachman Rat a gripping fantasy and a humorous allegory
on man's capacity to overcome evil.
- Rat: A Novel by Andrzej Zaniewski, Ewa Hryniewicz-Yarbrough, Andrej Zaniewski
- The Beautiful Rat by Kaethe Zemach - Mr. and Mrs. Rat search for someone
very great to be their daughter's husband.
Most of this information and further details may be found at the
Library of Congress. This was the
source of most of the book descriptions printed here.
If you know of a book that isn't on this list, or have a book review you
would like to see here, please contact me at
Last updated December 24, 1998
Return to Home Page